Grooming the head

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grooming the head

Post  Jo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:51 am

I notice that there are a lot of different ways that we shape the head of our dogs.

The eyebrows are the obvious difference, in the UK we split the eyebrows into 2, though tend to have them longer then the american dogs (going on pictures). We also seem to clip more off the underside of the jaw, making a diagonal line from the outer corner of the eye, passing just behind the corner of the mouth and then continuing this line underneath the jaw.

How are the heads trimmed in your country and is there any particular reason why it is like that?
Jo

Back to top Go down

Re: Grooming the head

Post  ravenstot on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:10 pm

In Finland it is very personal. Usualy eyebrows are not splited. But beard and head is just breeders - groomers seing of the breed. A lot of different styles. Also it depend on color - for b/s sometimes they do splited eyebrows.

Only common thing - most breeders and finnish judges do not like too much furnishing. So as we can not use any spray or powder, we have to groom dog in such way, that it looks neat and good without cosmetics. So, usually furnishing is shorter, than in other countries.
ravenstot

Back to top Go down

Eyebrows and head

Post  Leah~N~Vader on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:55 am

I personally like the longer eye brows for my giant. I seperate the eyebrows and tend to allow the beard to long and bushy, I know a good mentor of mine likes to get at my boys' beard and trim it right down as this shows his length of head and nice plains??? SO in this case it is just a matter of preference and what your goal is when grooming. I think a full beautiful beard, is stallion like and makes a presence. If you are looking at more of show groom and accentuating more lines or a certain body piece, then you have to keep beard angled and short to promote the features. As well by having a long bushy beard, you can creat the illusion of imbalance in your dog.. too big of head for body etdc...
Leah~N~Vader

Back to top Go down

Re: Grooming the head

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top