Walking our puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Walking our puppy

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi, I ldont know if this is the right spot for posting ....

We have a 5month old Standard - can we walk her tooo much - about four times a day - average l.5 - 2 km.

Harika

Back to top Go down

Re: Walking our puppy

Post  MsBritmor on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Since you are walking her about 4-5 miles a day, I would say that this is too far for a puppy that age. Shorten that up considerably. I would talk more in terms of "blocks" rather than km or miles. Serious conditioning should not start until all growth plates have closed, and in a miniature that would be around 18 mos. I don't know what that would be in a SS, but it would probably be later.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Walking a puppy

Post  Guest on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi, thanks for the fast advice. We are both outdoor people, so we take her with us and she never "complained" !!!!!We will reduce her walking. The other reason was, that she is a bundle of energy - we thought walking is the right thing to get rid of some. !!!!!!
We were at the vet a week ago, she told us, she is in perfect condition. I hope she is right.
Thanks again

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 am

Lots of exercise now can lead to joint problems later on.

How much training and mind games do you do with your pup? These things will tire a pup out more then exercise alone.
Jo

Back to top Go down

Walking a puppy

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi, we do l0 min of the walk training - heel, sit, down, stay - on short leash and then let her run on a long leash - and once in a while let her sit and so on.
We were at an obedience class last night and that went pretty good. The last 20 min was mingling with the crowd and that was the first time she saw other dogs - as we live pretty isolated on a farm. First she didnt know what to do but then she started racing around all on her own - round and round - then made friends with two other dogs. She was totally worn out and slept already in the car.l - Doesnt that show she needs excercise.
Thanks very much for your interest -

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:35 pm

No, it shows she has an owner that needs to learn when to step in to stop her doing to much as one time.
Jo

Back to top Go down

Walking a puppy

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi, after reading your comment, I talked to the trainer of the obedience class. She was watching the dogs play and run and she cant see anything wrong with our dog running soo hard .......
Furthermore, she told us, that its ok for a 5 month old dog to come with us on our walks as long as we are not walking on concrete but soft fields and woods.

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Harika wrote: First she didnt know what to do but then she started racing around all on her own - round and round - then made friends with two other dogs. She was totally worn out and slept already in the car.l - Doesnt that show she needs excercise.

No, it shows that she did more exercise than she needed for her age.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top