What are you all feeding?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What are you all feeding?

Post  Randi's Ushabti on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:02 pm

A few months ago I changed to Carocroc, a Dutch dry-food and I must say, I am very happy with the results.
Randi's Ushabti

Back to top Go down

Post  des matins de cristal on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:30 pm

All my dogs eat "Proplan" chicken but during the winter i give "Proplan" salmon.
During all the years my dogs eat fruits each day.
All is ok here ....
des matins de cristal

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknwhite on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:30 pm

I feed Bozita dry food but before that i fed Arden Grange
blacknwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Xtravaschnauza on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:48 pm

The first litter I fed on BARF is 4 months old now. I was very happy with the puppies' condition and loved to see how the little wolves ripped through the chicken carcases etc. They ate offal (liver, kidney, stomach), chicken wings, bone, cartilage, meat (beef, pork, chicken, lamb, reindeer) and plenty of fruit&veg. The supplements I used were vitamin C, B, and kelp + different kinds of oils.

All the puppies are still on raw food in their new homes and doing really well.

Xtravaschnauza

Back to top Go down

Post  Xtravaschnauza on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Second litter on BARF are six weeks old now. Still happy, and wouldn't have it any other way.
Xtravaschnauza

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:47 pm

Xtravaschnauza wrote:

So lovely, little predators! happy happy
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Post  Xtravaschnauza on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 pm

It actually is quite amazing how a piece of meat and bone will bring out the wolf in smallest of puppies. They go berserk even when they can't move properly, and by the time they are seven weeks the smell and sight of chicken necks will literally have them all over the place.
Xtravaschnauza

Back to top Go down

What you all feed your dogs

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

HI, we feed our puppy (Standard Schn. Shiva) "Now" puppy formular - after she came from the breeder, who fed Eukanuba.
She cant seem to get to her food fast enough so we assume she likes it. - Still we went to the website http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews to compare the different brands. "Now" has less meat so we are thinking of trying out Arcana - which sounds very good.
Does somebody know the Brand - "Taste of the Wild" ......

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:58 pm

I now feed my dogs ProPac Adult Mini Chunks mixed with a bit of Taste of the Wild. I have used the Pacific Stream and High Prairie (TOTW). I use two heaping dog food bowls to one cup of TOTW to help to cut the grains in ProPac. The dogs seem to be doing very well, and the obvious change is firmer, very dark stools. Many grain-free foods are VERY high in protein and FAT, and I would be very careful about feeding high fat levels to schnauzers unless you are sure that your dogs do not have a problem with hyperlipidemia (high fat levels in blood). Mine do not.

If I only had one or two dogs, I would feed Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, which is 25% protein and 15% fat, which is the ratio that my dogs have been on for forty years. Due to the numbers here, I cannot afford to feed grain-free exclusively.

ProPac is 26% protein and 15% fat.
TOTW High Prairie is 32% protein and 18% fat.
TOTW Pacific Stream is 25% protein and 15% fat.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:12 pm

thank you We will try the Taste of the Wild. Which one would you recommend for a nearly 6 mos old Standard.

And please could you tell me what is the difference when it for example says - Turkey meal or Turkey .......

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 pm

All my dogs are fed the same food, from weaning until they die of old age. As I said, if you know that your dogs have no problem with hyperlipidemia (fat in the blood), then it probably won't matter what you feed. Many miniatures DO have a problem with this, and in the U.S., many will not feed their minis more than 12% fat, and prefer less. Mine don't have a problem, but I try not to go much higher than 15% fat in their food.

Meal means that all water has been removed from the meat. In other words, chicken (or turkey, lamb, etc.) on a label contains 70% water, and once that water is removed, that meat would end up further down on the ingredient list since ingredients are listed by volume... from greatest to least. In some instances, that would make grain the primary ingredient in a formula. When a product says (turkey, chicken, lamb, etc.) meal, that means that it is that meat (turkey, etc.) with all water removed, so there will be more of it in that formula, and if it is first on the list of ingredients, it is the greatest ingredient in that formula.

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 am

thank you again .......... that was an eye opener - first time I realize what meal means ......

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregory456 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

I feed Eagle Original, and have for over 25 years. My pets get plenty of exercise and they usually shed weight on the other Large eagle items because of that. I do feel that the Large eagle Natural Poultry and their Natural seafood treatments are Eagle's best items.

Last edited by Gregory456 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Gregory456

Back to top Go down

Changes...

Post  MsBritmor on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:55 pm

So I went from feeding Eagle Original (for nearly 40 years!) to a mixture of ProPac/Taste of the Wild. That one lasted about a year, and then I went totally to a mixture of about three different types of Taste of the Wild, since getting one particular variety wasn't always possible.

The condition of my dogs continued to decline, with bad ears, itching, and large flakes of dandruff (which had started after Eagle changed its formula). I switched them to a newer product called "4Health"; it sounded great, and the price wasn't over the moon like some of the other foods. Not much change, except that some of the dogs who were not eating well were trying to starve themselves by not eating AT ALL.

I was getting so frustrated that I told my daughter (who works for Petco, a nationwide pet supply here) to bring something home that was reasonably high in protein and fat so that I could try to get those dogs eating again. The worst bad boy approved of the Innova Puppy, so I decided to switch everyone, once again, ::sigh:: over to Innova Puppy.

When the transition was up to 2/3 Innova and 1/3 4Health, everyone's skin began clearing up. The dogs have only been on this for less than a month now, so we shall see just how the change ultimately affects them, but so far I am delighted!

Remember when changing foods that it will often take two months to see the results (good and bad) of those changes. Most dry foods (at least in this country) are putting in too much grain, but I am not sure that grain-free is the answer either as Taste of the Wild did NOT help my dogs, and if anything, their condition worsened.

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregory456 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Gregory456 wrote:I feed Eagle Original, and have for over 25 years. My pets get plenty of exercise and they usually shed weight on the other Large eagle items because of that. I do feel that the Large eagle Natural Poultry and their Natural seafood treatments are Eagle's best items.

any comments ?

Gregory456

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Well, when I fed Eagle, I fed Eagle Original because anything less than 25% protein and 15% fat causes my dogs to lose weight due to the exercise they get and where we live.... and I didn't want to go any higher than that. After Eagle was sold to Berwind, and then combined with Wellness to become WellPet, the formula was changed and began to be downgraded. I stayed with Eagle longer than I should have, but I had believed in them for so many years that it was hard for me to believe that we were all being kicked to the curb by Eagle. After a couple years, it was quite evident that the condition of my dogs was degrading, and that is when I began looking for a better food to feed them. Three years later, I am finally starting to see improvements.

If I were you, I would dump Eagle, too. Sorry, but I do not know what you mean by "Large eagle Natural Poultry and their Natural seafood treatments".

When Linda Arndt, the "Great Dane Lady", left Eagle Pet Products, she went to Precise. If Innova doesn't work out for us here, that will be the next food I will try. http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/legacy_of_joe_cocquyt.htm At least now I feel that I am on the right track.

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

I guess I'm due for an update...

Post  MsBritmor on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:17 am

In my last post I had switched everyone over to Innova Puppy. Well, of course, they all got fat in spite of my efforts<G> One can only cut back on the food so much. I didn't like the ingredient lists on the other Innova products, so I then put everyone on Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Adult Chicken, trying to eliminate grains as much as possible.

Time went by, and then I noticed that all the scissored and clippered areas on the blacks and black-and-silvers were turning red. YIKES!!!!! Time to dump Blue Buffalo Freedom!

I thought about trying the other Innova products, but when I went to their website, people were complaining about itching dogs.... that company had sold out, too. Geez.... now what?

Well, I decided to take a chance and try Holistic Select Chicken and Rice, once Eagle's premier/better quality brand. Could Berwind/Wellness have destroyed another Eagle Product? Time went by.... and my dogs became black and shiny once again. No itching... nothing. They looked GREAT! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Holistic Select!!!!!

With my number of dogs, the Holistic Select was a bit expensive for me, so I did ultimately change again to a different brand that sounded good on the label and was a lot cheaper, Native Level 2. (Ten pounds more per bag [40 lbs.], but $5 less per bag... like a free bag of food every month!) I am still in the evaluation phase of this food (on our 5th bag), so we shall see if I leave the dogs on it..... but if I decide to drop it, we are going right back to the Holistic Select!!! No more fooling around for me.

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  shellybaker on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:42 am

What about taste of the wild dog food? I just started my 10 week old puppy on it today.

shellybaker

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:35 am

When I was having all those issues with my dogs, Taste of the Wild (3 different varieties) was one of the foods that my dogs were on for several months. It did NOTHING to change the condition of my dogs, so because of that I would never recommend it. If you are looking for a great food for your dog, I highly recommend Holistic Select (Chicken and Rice)

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Maybe time for another update<G> The Native Performance Level 2 seemed to work okay, although it seems to me that the dogs had more of a "glow" on the Holistic Select. I really do love the price of the Native!

After visiting the Eagle website, I discovered that the Original formula had been drastically changed, and it now sounds even a bit better than their Holistic Select! Same ingredients.... just moved around a bit from one formulation to the other. Since I do subscribe to the attitude of "Screw me once, shame on YOU! Screw me twice, shame on ME!", it is very difficult for me to even look at Eagle again.... but I am biting the bullet on this one.... at least for the moment.

For the next month or so, the dogs (starting this morning) are eating a mixture of Native, Holistic Select, and Eagle Original. They are starting out with one (dog) bowl (about 4 cups) of Native mixed with one cup of Eagle and one cup of Holistic. I will gradually increase the amount of Eagle and Holistic in this mixture.

I have yet to decide where I will be going with this, but it would be nice to just be feeding one food again instead of having to mix it all the time.

By the way, here is something that should be read. I am SO glad that my dogs are no longer on Blue Buffalo!!!! I wish they could/would test all the pet foods like this! http://associationfortruthinpetfood.com/the-pet-food-test-results/

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top