Possible Cushing's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possible Cushing's

Post  elotter on Fri May 31, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi everyone!!! My 9 year old mini Schnauzer may have Cushing's. We went to the vet because she woke me up crying and I assumed her back was hurting. She doesn't technically have back problems but it is somewhat common for her back to be sore. Anyway the xray showed a slightly enlarged liver and no back issue. We then decided to have full blood work done since it had been a while since it was last done. The results of the blood work showed elevated liver enzyme. A normal level would be around 130 and Chloe's level was 951! So after the vet explained much of this to me I was frightened and overwhelmed! Her thyroid test was normal (good), blood count good, pancreas enzyme a little high and slightly high triglycerides. So I have done a lot of research and my Vet is awesome at exploring options and understanding my sensitive baby Chloe. For her back pain they put her on Prednisone and therefore we have to ween her off of it and then wait 10 weeks for it to completely clear out of her system before Cushing's tests can begin. So I have about 11 weeks of worrying and trying to figure out how I will afford all of the tests and meds if it is Cushing's. Sorry to go on and on but this is all new to me. Many signs point to Cushing's; high enzymes and triglycerides, recent shortness of breath, unable or not wanting to climb stairs or jump on furniture. She always eats a lot, cause she's a Schnauzer, and her special food makes her thirsty to keep crystals from forming in urine so neither of those things are alarming to me. She wasn't sleeping as much and I believe she had one seizure. Although she is not losing patches of hair I have noticed small amounts of hair on the pillow etc...
I am completely panicked over this. I can't wait to get the tests done so I know for sure. Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any response whether it is someone who is going through the same thing or someone with advice.
Erin & Chloe
elotter

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible Cushing's

Post  MsBritmor on Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 pm

Thankfully, I've never had Cushing's here, but here is part of a post from a friend on Facebook who has: "supplement with phosphatidylserine (PS-100, 100 mg) for the cushings, boost the immune system, good for the heart, it also helps with oral gingivitis- with Co-Q-10, 50 mg, ... PS-100 helped my cushing-oid dog for 5 yrs, she lived to be a few short weeks of 15."

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Fri May 31, 2013 6:54 pm

Here is more: http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjcushings.html

From someone else whose dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's: "We are starting him on PS-100, Sam-e and milk thistle and more antibiotics. I am also giving him a probiotic (which the vet very astutely reminded me to give at different intervals than the antibiotic) to head off some of the upper GI problems that can come from the prolonged use of antibiotics."

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Fri May 31, 2013 6:59 pm

Oh, by the way... as to the back issues, look for an animal chiropractor in your area. That would not be related to the Cushing's. http://www.avcadoctors.com/search_for_avca_certified_doctor.htm

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top