handstripping/rolling coat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

handstripping/rolling coat

Post  hazir on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 am

hi i am a novice trying to get my dog ready to show and would like to do it in the rolling of the coat method i have been on Karens website and read up on it my bitch is a adult i have stripped her down to the skin there are still some harsh black hair left probably cuts do i just take these out with my fingers if i can?? and what is the next step?? i.e waiting to start pulling the new coat it is a fairly harsh coat. time scales ect ect

hazir

Back to top Go down

Re: handstripping/rolling coat

Post  MsBritmor on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Since you have totally stripped your bitch out, it will take more time to get her coat rolling (at least the way that I roll a coat). Actually, I don't recall ever trying to roll a coat from a freshly stripped coat....

It will take at least a month before the new coat breaks through the skin, and once it gets long enough to grasp, you need to try to randomly pull hair throughout her coat.... like every 12th hair<G> Just grasp a few hairs with your stripping knife, and then move to a nearby location to pull again. Do this in some sort of pattern, like rows, so that you don't pull in the same spot again. Always work the coat once a week... pick a day and that is ALWAYS your coat-working day. Mine is Monday.

I prefer to start rolling with a long coat, and I start by raking through the coat once a week. After several weeks, I will start pulling by hand as I sort through the coat with my fingers.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top