When is a dog a STUDdog?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When is a dog a STUDdog?

Post  RaggaGisla on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:35 pm

When would you say a dog is a stud dog and what does he have to have to bee called a stud dog?
RaggaGisla

Back to top Go down

Re: When is a dog a STUDdog?

Post  Jo on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Isn't it just a term for a dog who is available for mating a bitch?
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  RaggaGisla on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:47 pm

So I can have a dog at home that has never been to shows and call him a Studdog?
RaggaGisla

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 pm

In the UK you can have a male dog with testicles and call it a stud dog, doesn't matter if it is a pure breed, cross breed, health checked, shown... just as long as he can make puppies Surprised
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  des matins de cristal on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:43 am

in france we have an exam for conformation and if a dog not ok with this exam he cannot be stud dog.
after this exam all dog can be "stud"
des matins de cristal

Back to top Go down

Post  ravenstot on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:29 am

It would be interesting to hear, why you would say that male is not for stud?
ravenstot

Back to top Go down

Post  D'el casa di Vita on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:38 am

Why....
I have a male and he is not for stud anymore.
He has mate different females,out different lines.
And he allways brings the "bad" things off him in the puppy's
His ears and his teal,And now I think it is not good for the breed,so he is not available as a studdog.
Some people think it is about his eyes,but it is't.(you know talking talking talking...)
I have him this year out off the studdog list,but I will check his eyes every year,only for the talking.....
D'el casa di Vita

Back to top Go down

Post  Grovelea on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:47 am

I have a male miniature who was used as a stud dog, but, he produced puppies with cataracts in their eyes so, he is no longer a stud dog. and my female Minis are not used for breeding any more No
Grovelea

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornish Rex on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:05 pm

A stud dog is a dog with his testicals and he can make puppies. The show have nothing to do with is genitals in work or not.

Many breeds go under breeding judgement and never go for shows. So the show has no role in this name " Very Happy stud dog" Smile

Breeding judgement is the best way to evaluate the dog for breeding not the show which is a beauty contest.

Just like for horeses if the male is with his testicals he is a stud no matter if he has gone to competing or not because he can go under breeding evaluation.

I really think people are getting hooked on shows as the only thing as the right thing.

If the dog is not neutred he is a stud no matter how he looks with 4 legs or 3 legs....

Cornish Rex

Back to top Go down

Post  RaggaGisla on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:08 pm

So.. I can call a dog a stud dog that does not at all fit the Standard? A dog whit wrong coat color, too big and whit wrong coat?
Just as long he has 2 testicles.

Then I want to ask you Cornish Rex why you thought that Silfurskugga Griffin PS Flying High " Griffin " should´t have his name in the Stud section?
you said
Are you sure that this dog should be in stud section he is so young ? For the color I find it rather odd for p/s to dark on the throat and it looks like he has dark saddle.

But in time he might get really good color that it is why I ask. In the puppy section I would rather want to see him and later in stud section Smile
RaggaGisla

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:37 pm

To be fair, the dog only really needs one usuable testicle! Sad
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  ravenstot on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Yeaah!!! Now I know how looks real stud dog - one working testicle, that's enought Very Happy Smile

It would be really funny if it wouldn't be so close to the reality somtimes, and than it makes me sad Sad
ravenstot

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornish Rex on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm

RaggaGisla wrote:So.. I can call a dog a stud dog that does not at all fit the Standard? A dog whit wrong coat color, too big and whit wrong coat?
Just as long he has 2 testicles.

Then I want to ask you Cornish Rex why you thought that Silfurskugga Griffin PS Flying High " Griffin " should´t have his name in the Stud section?
you said
Are you sure that this dog should be in stud section he is so young ? For the color I find it rather odd for p/s to dark on the throat and it looks like he has dark saddle.

But in time he might get really good color that it is why I ask. In the puppy section I would rather want to see him and later in stud section Smile

As I said in that forum " I find " and that has nothing to with if he is a stud dog or not. My opinion has nothing to say about that one Smile he can be named stud dog as soon as his testicals are working and even only with one working. Someones opinion can not change that fact......

Cornish Rex

Back to top Go down

Post  Elis on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:50 am

Stud may refer to:

Stud (animal) - an animal that has been registered and is retained for breeding.

From Wikipedia

The definition is quite open! Razz
Elis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum