who knows acana?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

who knows acana?

Post  jch77380 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:15 pm

I am feeding my schnauzers with orijen and am pleased with!
i am thinking of acana to vary...Who knows?
jch77380

Back to top Go down

Re: who knows acana?

Post  Szende on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:42 am

I have bought a small amount of Acana to try it, I like how it looks and also the ingredients, Lamb and Apple, hope to work this one, as it seems that my dog is scratching because of food allergy as we haven't found any other problems. Before I fed Purina, Profilum and Brit Care, all super premium. My dog eats it very happily, we will see the results soon....
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  SchnauzkyLVR on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I feed mine nature's best and he loves it, never has gotten sick from it. I also give him some carrots, celery, and peas as snacks once in a while.
SchnauzkyLVR

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:49 am

SchnauzkyLVR wrote:I feed mine nature's best and he loves it, never has gotten sick from it. I also give him some carrots, celery, and peas as snacks once in a while.

Once the 70% water is removed from the first meat ingredient of this product (which would then drop it much further down on the ingredient list), it makes it mostly nothing but grains:

Ingredients: Chicken, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Whole Grain Oats, Apples, Cranberries, Soybean Oil, Peas, Carrots, Dried Beet Pulp, Iodized Salt, Flaxseed, Broccoli, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

But I will say that it sounds a bit better than most Hills Products.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Szende on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:45 am

MsBritmor wrote:
Once the 70% water is removed from the first meat ingredient of this product (which would then drop it much further down on the ingredient list), it makes it mostly nothing but grains:

You have the same opinion about the Lamb and Apple combination? Does it work for dogs with food allergy?
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:13 pm

Szende wrote:
MsBritmor wrote:

You have the same opinion about the Lamb and Apple combination? Does it work for dogs with food allergy?

Absolutely not. The ingredient list is entirely different:

Ingredients:
New Zealand lamb meal, steamed oats, peas, sunflower oil, de-boned New Zealand
lamb, red delicious apples, natural lamb flavor, flaxseed, alfalfa leaf, pumpkin, turnip
greens, cranberries, saskatoon berries, organic sea vegetables (kelp, bladderwrack,
dulse), burdock root, marshmallow root, juniper berries, fenugreek, sweet fennel,
angelica root, sea buckthorn, chicory root, stinging nettle, red raspberry leaf, milk
thistle, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, Lactobacillus
acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.
Vitamins (vit. A, vit. D3, vit. E, niacin, riboflavin, lysine, thiamine mononitrate, vit. B12,
pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin). Minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese
proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate).

Guaranteed analysis
Protein .....................................27 %
Fat ..........................................15 %
Fiber .........................................3 %
Calcium .................................. 1.8 %
Phosphorus ............................. 1.2 %
Omega-6................................. 2.5 %
Omega-3 ................................ 0.5 %
Glucosamine ....................700 mg/kg
Chondroitin .......................500 mg/kg
Carbohydrate ...........................30 %

The first ingredient is lamb meal, which means that the water has already been removed from the lamb. The first ingredient of this food IS a meat protein... not a grain (once the water is removed from the protein).... nor is it followed by a striing of different grains... with more even further down the list. The kelp is good, because I feel that contributes to better black color. All in all, this sounds like a pretty decent food. Some might complain that the fat level is too high for a schnauzer, but I feed my dogs 15% fat and have never had a problem with that. It would depend on whether your dogs were subject to hyperlipidemia (too much fat in the bloodstream); mine are not.

As to allergies... well that depends on just WHAT your dog is allegic to! Most allergies are environmental, followed by food allergies. The #1 food allergen is proteins, followed by wheat, with corn much further down the list. A dog, like a person, can be allergic to absolutely anthing! If you think your dog has a food allergy, you should feed an elimination diet to try to determine the problem.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Heathkeepers on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:06 pm

All our dogs and puppies have been fed with Acana products about 4 years now, and I am competely satisfied.
Of course we add something raw with the food daily, but Acana is the main food. Acana's ingredient lists are very near to my thoughts of ideal.
Heathkeepers

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:29 pm

My dogs are fed on ACANA WILD PRAIRIE for at least 5 months now and I am absolutely satisfied with the results! Smile

Furthermore, no real difference in daily quantities and in performances on the dogs with ORIJEN ADULT (at least with my own dogs!)... Dont tell

In general, it is advisable for food sensitivity or allergy to try with ACANA PACIFICA or ORIJEN 6-FISH: both formulas contain protein & fat sources deriving only from fish (ingredients that are not likely to induce food sensitivity) and contain higher % of marine Omega-3 fatty acids, that are scientifically proven in dampen inflammatory and/or allergic reactions.
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:34 pm

I feed raw, I think it is the best thing I could do. However there are several brands of kibble that are good quality, yet not all work for a specific dog. Sorry but I have had major problems with Acana, and as a result I will never recommend it, even if the ingredients listed are superb. And I have heard numerous accounts pointing into the same direction, too. Just basing it from my experience. And I respect those who are satisfied with Acana.

Smile
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregory456 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:31 pm

I also feeding acana to my pets since various months.
I think it is more effective foods for my pets that keep my dog and cat happy, healthy and strong.

Gregory456

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top