White miniature schnauzer temperament

View previous topic View next topic Go down

White miniature schnauzer temperament

Post  Alberto on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Hello everbody,

I have seen that many people in this forum owns/breeds white minis, so I would like to read from you how could you describe the temper of these dogs, if you see any noticeable difference in the personality from the other colors, and most important thing, how they get along with other dogs (possibly also from other breeds)...

To be honest, with Standard Schnauzer I have experienced some problems in the day-to-day relationship with dogs from other breeds sharing the same home... Suspect

Thank you in advance for all your contributions to this topic! thank you
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Re: White miniature schnauzer temperament

Post  Randi's Ushabti on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:19 pm

Because pictures are worth more than a thousand words, I present you 8 weeks old Huey Lewis of Randi's Ushabti with 11 years old Xtazy of Taita's Ushabti.

Last edited by Randi's Ushabti on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Randi's Ushabti

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 am

Randi's Ushabti wrote:Because pictures are worth more than a thousand words, I present you 8 weeks old Huey Lewis of Randi's Ushabti with 11 years old Xtazy of Taita's Ushabti.

Thanks for the photo, so sweet! Very Happy

My question was like that...what is the attitude of white minis (especially females) in regards of other dogs living with them and also with the ones they can meet in the street during a walk? Do they have a typical terrier-like defiant attitude or they are more laid-back in presence of other dogs?
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Post  Randi's Ushabti on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 am

My White's are the friends of everybody and everydog.
Randi's Ushabti

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 pm

My white was a big soft hearted dog who was happy to stay with another entire male while there were bitches in season in the same room. Of all the mini colours, these are nothing like a terrier, more like a cavalier king charles spaniel!
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaD on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Well I must say then my white miniature are totally different. I do have 4 that I did import and none of them have the same temprament at all. I did lot of preparition work before import because I was looking for the orginal temprament, the prey drive, the working ability and hunting instinct. Out af 4 imported I would say that 2 off them would not survive if they would have to hunt for a living or work as a wermin hunters, they could never do the job. 2 of them have proven their instinct more then once. But in a group they live rather happy but they do bark at strangers and for anyone trying to enter my house without premission, well I just hope that he can run very fast or be wise enough not to provoke my dogs at all.

I also have p/s Riesenschnauzer and for the males I had to put one on breeding contract 3 males was to much in the house and to much tention. All of them are very macho and sure off them self and are very terrotorial, but that is what I like in my dogs and want them to be. One female did also have to leave and live elsewhere she was to soft and submissive to be a memeber of the group.

And the puppies that I have had and are kept for further breeding are with this big temprament that is aimed for working ability and endurance outdoors. And it is all males that I am keeping. My first one is now 5 months and is very prominsing in all fields, both temprament and body structure for work and endurance. From may last litter I also kept males this time 2 off them one on breeding contract that one is very trainble and will most probably not be a terrotorial male but the one I will have in my house is terrotorial.

I think it is diffrence in temprament between colour mostly due do different breeding aims. I will never hold a puppy for further breeding if his temprament is soft, while other might do so. I want them with the strong temprament that was aimed for so they can work and be independet in their work in all ways.

For the Riesenschnauzer it is a big diffrence between the black ones and the pepper and salt ones. And that is due to orgin of the breed and the breed mixing to get the black colour into the breeding. There is no possibility to only get one trait from another breed you get everything also the things that are not wanted.
AnnaD

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto on Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Jo wrote:My white was a big soft hearted dog who was happy to stay with another entire male while there were bitches in season in the same room. Of all the mini colours, these are nothing like a terrier, more like a cavalier king charles spaniel!

Thank you for sharing your experience! thank you
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 pm

My Minis have always recognized the two larger versions as schnauzers, and they react more positively toward them than they do other breeds... they seem to think they are just larger Minis. The Giants and Standards they have been allowed to meet seemed to feel the same way. There is nothing funnier than seeing one of my boys meet a Giant or Standard bitch and seeing how BIG his eyes get... and then the very large smile on his face<G>

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 am

AnnaD wrote:Well I must say then my white miniature are totally different. I do have 4 that I did import and none of them have the same temprament at all. I did lot of preparition work before import because I was looking for the orginal temprament, the prey drive, the working ability and hunting instinct. Out af 4 imported I would say that 2 off them would not survive if they would have to hunt for a living or work as a wermin hunters, they could never do the job. 2 of them have proven their instinct more then once. But in a group they live rather happy but they do bark at strangers and for anyone trying to enter my house without premission, well I just hope that he can run very fast or be wise enough not to provoke my dogs at all.

I also have p/s Riesenschnauzer and for the males I had to put one on breeding contract 3 males was to much in the house and to much tention. All of them are very macho and sure off them self and are very terrotorial, but that is what I like in my dogs and want them to be. One female did also have to leave and live elsewhere she was to soft and submissive to be a memeber of the group.

And the puppies that I have had and are kept for further breeding are with this big temprament that is aimed for working ability and endurance outdoors. And it is all males that I am keeping. My first one is now 5 months and is very prominsing in all fields, both temprament and body structure for work and endurance. From may last litter I also kept males this time 2 off them one on breeding contract that one is very trainble and will most probably not be a terrotorial male but the one I will have in my house is terrotorial.

I think it is diffrence in temprament between colour mostly due do different breeding aims. I will never hold a puppy for further breeding if his temprament is soft, while other might do so. I want them with the strong temprament that was aimed for so they can work and be independet in their work in all ways.

For the Riesenschnauzer it is a big diffrence between the black ones and the pepper and salt ones. And that is due to orgin of the breed and the breed mixing to get the black colour into the breeding. There is no possibility to only get one trait from another breed you get everything also the things that are not wanted.

Yes, it's true...I know it's hard to write in general of a breed temper, I can see if I think about all my P/S Standard Schnauzers through the years, that there are many different personalities (some of them completely opposite) with just few things in common to all. Also my close friend who breeds P/S Giant Schnauzers had over the years some very balanced with NO working ability at all, others with some working potential and some other, strictly from show lines, with great working skills. scratch
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Post  Alberto on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:23 am

MsBritmor wrote:My Minis have always recognized the two larger versions as schnauzers, and they react more positively toward them than they do other breeds... they seem to think they are just larger Minis. The Giants and Standards they have been allowed to meet seemed to feel the same way. There is nothing funnier than seeing one of my boys meet a Giant or Standard bitch and seeing how BIG his eyes get... and then the very large smile on his face<G>

Yes I think too that purebred dogs are somehow "racist", as it happened that our schnauzers experienced over the years problems only with other breeds' dogs. It can be supposed that selection for working ability and/or morphological traits has (unconsciously) caused the selection of some behaviour patterns/postures that are well known and understood by dogs of the same breeds and on the other side misunderstood by some other breed's dogs. That's quite interesting, but a little bit worrying for me as probably in the future in our home there won't be only schnauzers... Shocked
But probably I will be a White Mini owner in the future...I love them very much! bounce
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top