Food specialy for Minis Black/Silver - What do you feed your black/silver ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Food specialy for Minis Black/Silver - What do you feed your black/silver ???

Post  Margit349 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:44 am

Hello you!

I am very intrested to become infos or we can only talk about it what you are feeding to your black/silver, that cares the black coat and is also good for the white coat?!

Because i have often seen Minis that have brown coat or the have much red in the white coat.

What do you prefer? Raw or try-food or what else ....

Generally what do you feed and why?

What experiences have you made? Positive and negative!

Hope i become many answers!

Would be great!
Margit349

Back to top Go down

Re: Food specialy for Minis Black/Silver - What do you feed your black/silver ???

Post  MsBritmor on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:13 pm

I feed Eagle, and it does help darken coats (that would most likely be from the kelp in the product). I have heard that Eagle is no longer available internationally, but there is a product there now (or coming... not here until possibly next year) called Golden Eagle, and that is a take-off from the Eagle products, and is the results of recipes from the originator of the Eagle products.

If you have a BS with red in the lighter parts of its legs, that is most likely from the pH of the dog's saliva as it licks its legs. Find the reason for the licking, stop it, and the redness will grow out. One thing that changes a dog's pH is dirty teeth, and schnauzers can be prone to tooth and gum problems. Allergies and pain will also cause chewing and licking. If a dog is kept on cement that isn't sealed, the urine that soaks into the cement will also stain the leg hair.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: Food specialy for Minis Black/Silver - What do you feed your black/silver ???

Post  gudgud on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:09 am

I use Orijen and I think Frosti is not so bad for a white schnauzer.....

gudgud

Back to top Go down

Post  Margit349 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Hey!

Thank you for the answers ... but that are not much.

Where are all the black/silver people? scratch scratch

Please all black/silver owner tell your opinion !!!

thank you thank you
Margit349

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 pm

I don't feed anything specific for colour. I just don't use any dry food that contains colours.

I think breeding has more of an effect on the colour then the food.
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:16 pm

Jo wrote:I think breeding has more of an effect on the colour then the food.

Yes, how one breeds is extremely important, but I can say for a fact that foods can indeed affect colors.

Many years ago when I was feeding IAMS, I had nice litte brown-and-silver puppies until their first stripping, but then the overlay on their legs still remained reddish-brown.

After I switched to Eagle, my puppies remained black.

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostmourne on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Margit !!

I feed all my dogs with : Science Plan-Hill's.
I love this product, it is perfect for the coat, I have no one Mini with red or brown coat, all my Schnauzers are pure Black and Silver.
Around 20 years ago I was a breeder of Cane Corso ( I had around 20 Cane Corso togheter )..if you know this wonderful breed, you know how they are heavy.
And how their feets and their legs are delicate while they are growing up, and with this feed I always have had perfect aplombs.
I always look not only the coat but first of all the construction of a dog.
And I think if one food is so good for giant sizes it will perfect for small dogs.

What is your opinion ?

Merylisa
Frostmourne

Back to top Go down

Post  Margit349 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 am

[quote="MsBritmor"]
Jo wrote:I think breeding has more of an effect on the colour then the food.

Yes, how one breeds is extremely important, but I can say for a fact that foods can indeed affect colors.

Many years ago when I was feeding IAMS, I had nice litte brown-and-silver puppies until their first stripping, but then the overlay on their legs still remained reddish-brown.

After I switched to Eagle, my puppies remained black.

Wow, what a difference!!! And that i mean food is also important!
Margit349

Back to top Go down

Post  Margit349 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:17 am

Good morning!

I think that the right food is generally important for the development, the skin, the hair, intestines, etc. - but it also plays a role in the colour.

I have often seen dogs that have become reddish. Not only Schnauzer or not just black / silver but also for example Dobermans who become reddish and then food-chance and the red was away.

Food is so or so crucial - the interplay between genetics, breeding and feeding.

But I think it's great that we can talk here and share with other dog owners.

Of course I'm interested in everything especially black/silver. Since i am at the beginning as a breeder.

So, dear friends, the more information and experience you have, write, write, write. Smile

thank you
Margit349

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:01 am

Did you ask the owner of the reddish Dobermann what they were feeding before and after it changed colour?
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Margit349 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:59 am

Jo wrote:Did you ask the owner of the reddish Dobermann what they were feeding before and after it changed colour?

Royal Canin Maxi Junior
Margit349

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Margit349 wrote:
Jo wrote:Did you ask the owner of the reddish Dobermann what they were feeding before and after it changed colour?

Royal Canin Maxi Junior

is that the after food or the before food?
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Margit349 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 pm

Jo wrote:
Margit349 wrote:

Royal Canin Maxi Junior

is that the after food or the before food?

before food - i don't know what he feed then - but yet is red away
Margit349

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 am

How come no one posts on this wonderful forum anymore?

In regard to dog food, I have to say that the last comments on this dog food thread were in 2009. I was still feeding Eagle Original then, and the Eagle company was sold in 2008. The food started degrading, and *all* of my dogs started having health issues (ears, skin, coat) because of that food.... a product I had vowed to never leave.

I began my search for a good food, and I went through several over the next few years, with nothing being as great for the dogs as the Eagle had been before the company was sold and the food altered. One of the products the dogs were on (each food for several months) was Blue Buffalo (Blue Freedom.... grain-free), and that turned all the scissored black areas on my dogs RED. Consequently, that is a product that I **cannot** recommend. From that, I went to Eagle's Holistic Select, and my black dogs returned once again after a few months. That food was GREAT, but it was just too expensive with the number of dogs I had here, so my search continued once again.

Ultimately, with a once-again changed recipe, I put the dogs back on Eagle Original, and they were on it for quite some time. The dogs didn't have any real issues, but they just didn't seem to have that special "glow" that they did on Eagle the first time around (before it degraded). Doing a dog food search online, I stumbled upon one that sounded very much like the old Eagle recipe (except 10 lbs. more kibble per bag and about $10 cheaper), so now the dogs are on Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice, with the primary difference being beef, rather than pork and chicken. Everything else is fairly similar. The dogs have only been on this new product a few weeks now, so it is too soon to see much difference, except that there are no changes for the worse so far.... and that is always a good thing<G>

This is SUCH a great Forum, and every time I visit here I see that there are visitors.... both members and non-members.... so let's all start posting again because we all have questions and answers to share. No one knows everything about our dogs, and we can all learn something new. Come on, guys.....!!!!!!

-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top