Parasites ...............

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Parasites ...............

Post  Jo on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:26 pm

I thought it would be interesting to find out what sort of parasites dogs can have in the various countries and what we all use to treat or prevent our dogs from being infested.

Have your dogs ever had a bad reaction to any treatment you have used?
Jo

Back to top Go down

Re: Parasites ...............

Post  MsBritmor on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:56 am

Many years ago my dogs came down with dander mites, more properly known as Cheyletiella, and also known as "walking dandruff". They had the WORST ITCH EVER, and HUGE flakes of dandruff all along their topline. Now this was a number of years ago... long before some of the new treatments that are available now. Certainly ivermectin, the drug of choice now, wasn't around then.

I tried this, and I tried that, and nothing was working... scratch, Scratch, SCRATCH!!! Finally, I talked to a veterinarian friend of mine, and she suggested I try a cattle product called Spot-On, which was for bugs and parasites in cattle, and was put on along their topline, and she told me how much to use on the dogs. (Sound like something you might use now?<G> This was before we had ever heard of anything like this for our dogs.)

Well, the stuff WORKED!!! However, one of the last times I used that product, one of my dogs had a reaction to it. Many of these products still can have the same reaction... excess salivation. Now, that might sound like maybe a little extra spit, but I have NEVER seen anything like it! It was more than 24 St. Bernards drooling into the same bowl... it literally kept pouring... well, pouring might be a bit strong... but it was flowing out of his mouth... and flowing... and flowing... I didn't think it was ever going to stop. I threw him in the tub and bathed him quickly and he recovered with no further complications.

That experience gave me a GREAT respect for pesticides. One must be *very* careful with them, however they are used.

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SchnauzkyLVR on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:07 pm

parasites are no good...mine hasn't had any problems really other than just getting fleas once, and some oatmeal flea shampoo did the trick and got rid of them
SchnauzkyLVR

Back to top Go down

Post  marksmith on Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Parasites are living things that use other living things - like your body - for food and a place to live. You can get them from contaminated food or water, a bug bite, or sexual contact. Parasitic diseases can cause mild discomfort or be deadly.

Parasites range in size from tiny, one-celled organisms called protozoa to worms that can be seen with the naked eye. Some parasitic diseases happen in the United States. Contaminated water supplies can lead to Giardia infections. Cats can transmit toxoplasmosis, which is dangerous for pregnant women. Others, like malaria, are common in other parts of the world.

If you are traveling, it's important to drink only water you know is safe. Prevention is especially important. There are no vaccines for parasitic diseases. Some medicines are available to treat parasitic infections.

thanks

seo agency

marksmith

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:03 am

Gastro intestinal parasites are frequent to those giant schnauzer dogs who loves to swim. This is why many diarrhea cases are frequent.
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top